Tuesday 11 September 2012

You can do anything you set your heart to.



Autism affects 1:600 children in Malaysia. 

Autism is a lifelong disability.
By way of comparison, more children are diagnosed with autism each year than with juvenile diabetes, AIDS or cancer, combined. ASD affects over tens of millions worldwide. This is such an alarming statistic. We have to do more for our children here in Malaysia.What can you do if you are a parent?

Educate yourself. Educate yourself about all the services available for your child. Unfortunately in Malaysia there are no government funding and no school systems that support the needs for a child diagnosed with autism. The best way to reach out is through research and empirical evidence.

After spending four beautiful years at Somerset Hills Learning Institute, my director told me to be proud of myself. And I looked at him with tears in my eyes and a breaking heart to leave all my kiddies that I love, and smiled. He added, "It's true, for the past for years, you have made a measurable difference in children's life. And that is something you should be very proud of". My director is a wonderful man. He started his school in the basement of a church with 4 children, 4 teachers and him. From a school of 4 children, he built a school with 30 children, with amazing, wonderful teachers. I realize this, a great program makes measurable differences in a child's life. This means that change is evident through data, observation and in a child's smile. He built a great school with a great mission, to "change the face of autism" and it continues. He is truly an inspiration.

Before I left my life in America, I had the opportunity to see one of our students graduate. He is 21, he is working and he is a tax paying citizen. How wonderful. Below is the link, so please check it out and let us all be inspired to increase autism awareness in Malaysia.

http://www.somerset-hills.org/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment